Need a pause? Nap Pods are now in the Library
Check out the Nap Pods on LG1 of the Library, near the far stairwell!
Why are they here? What are they for?
Research suggests that a short nap during the day can help you work better, think more clearly, and balance your emotions. The Nap Pods are designed to give you a perfectly timed, energy-reviving 20-minute nap to relax for your health & enjoyment.
How do they work?
The Nap Pods let you recline at a comfortable sleeping angle, while playing ambient music through your headphones, and showing diffuse colored lighting to help you relax and refresh.
After 20 minutes, the pod will gently wake you up with increasing light and vibration.
Rules for the Use of Nap Pods
- Each user can book 1 session per day, 4 sessions per week.
- Reservation may be made on the same day or at most 1 week in advance.
- Each session lasts for 30 minutes, including cleaning and 20-minute nap. (Please use your own earbuds or headphones & wipe down the pod before and after each use with the wipes provided.)
- When not reserved, Nap Pods are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- If you are more than 10 minutes late, the reservation is cancelled and another user can take the seat for the rest of that booking.
- Notes for User
- To start the session, user is required to press the ‘START’ button on right-hand side of the Nap Pods.
- You may be asked to leave the Nap Pods if the booking session has ended/reserved by another user.
- Violators may be blocked from making reservation for 4 weeks
More details on the benefits of napping and on sleep hygiene
The HKUST Counseling and Wellness Center provides Nap tips and sleep hygiene information.
The SEN Support team explores the value of Napping for special educational needs users.
The US National Sleep Foundation answer the question of Should you nap?
The Better Sleep Council provides lots of additional information on the value of sleep and how to improve yours.
The “Need-A-Pause” campaign for student wellbeing is a collaborative project of the SEN Support team of the Counseling and Wellness Center & the HKUST Library.Go Back to page Top
last modified 06 June 2022